The complete Core Set is complete!
When I print them through Photoshop they come out as 6.5" x 4.5" (or for my fellow Canadians: 16cm x 11cm).
I am also including links to the PSD files for each so that you can do whatever you like with these - but mainly I'm hoping you will help us complete more unit cards!
If you don't know how to use Photoshop this may be a little hard to figure out, but you can still help by seeing what people upload (including me, and double checking for mistakes). It's easy to screw up a weapon state line or a rules detail.
Tips: I have layers for all the different items and I've included the fonts in the Drop Box folder with the PSDs.
To add the unit picture:
1. Find a high quality picture of the unit (Google Image search with Large Image selected is your friend).
2. Copy the unit picture you found to the Clipboard.
3. Then go to the Unit Card you are working on and go into the Unit ID layer group and select the Polaroid layer.
4. Then click in the area where the current picture is located on the card using the Magic Wand Tool, this should highlight the full square where the pictre is.
5. Then go to Edit / Paste Special / Paste Into. This will ensure that the image never extends beyond the photo square. Now you can move it around, hit Control-T to enlarge, shrink or rotate it.
And of course, ask if you have any questions. Most importantly though, please upload the full PSD and the JPG so that other people can have the PSD (and the text and stat lines) to copy and paste into other cards. Plus, if I have all the PSD files I can update any cards that might need it in the future.
Let me know if you have any questions.
We teach & play boardgames: www.youtube.com/watchitplayed
They look great. They have all the info I put on the cards I put together, but whereas mine are a zero on a scale of 1 to 10, yours are a 10. Looks great.
It's all about the Dust
Super awesome. I'd love to see the Axis cards in the same format with all their special rules and such printed on the card.
Outstanding work man that card came out great.I think the font size will be fine as long as you only do 4 cards on an 8 1/2 x 11 landscape. Any smaller and it will be an issue I think.
Fighting the forces of apathy and procrastination...and losing 99% of the time
Bring on the PSD files….I would love to play with them.
"Come out, little beastmen!" he bellowed. "I have a gift for you." - Gotrek
As someone working on his own "cheat sheet" set of cards, I gotta say I dig the design. On initial inspection, the only quibble I've got is swapping the position of the unit's name and it's Move/Unit/DC stats. It'll make the right card easier to find when rifling through the stack. Also curious as to how you plan to implement the +3 AP weapon options of the Battle Grenadier and "The Gunners" squads. It's something I've been struggling with on my own cards.
Other than that, I think you're onto a solid formula. Really good work!
Sigh. Why couldn't FFG have done something like this in the book? Still not a good value at that page count and that price; adding something like these unit cards in the back would've improved the value (so would making the reaction/suppression/et al markers smaller and squared).
On the other hand, I could well forsee a pack of cards in this sort of format sold as an accessory. Hello, FFG, are you reading this thread? Yoo hoo, here's a chance to make money, at least from me (and probably other people, too).
I second swapping unit name with the M, T, DC stat-line locations.
I'd prefer the finished product to be the same size as the DT cards…
Aside from having already bought several extra hard card protector sleeves in that size, I have tired old eyes that prefer to not wear reading glasses at the game table.
"I have met with death... she is afraid!"
That looks Superb, better than the DT ones.
Some suggestions, if I may:
- Move M/T/DC to the unused area above the weapon names
- Use the M/T/DC icons instead of text labels
- Move unit name to the file's tab - perhaps either just the fluff name (e.g, "Corps Officers") or the 'proper' name ("Heavy Ranger Command Squad")
- Page number included with rule name. While full rule text is nice, I don't think it's fully necessary. Perhaps list like in unit entries: rule name, page number, and specify if it only applies to a certain user. I definitely like inclusion of rules for the weapons. Suggest also including chained rules (i.e, how Radioman also grants Artillery Strike, etc)
- Not too picky about the size, but for maximum compatibility and printability, I suggest having them 4-up (2x2) in Landscape mode, using custom page size using the smaller dimensions of Letter and A4 (i.e, 11" wide, ~8.25" tall)
- Small typo: Core Officers should be Corps Officers
Create your Dust Warfare force with the Dust Warfare Force Builder
These are BEAUTIFUL, and aside from a few minor changes as have been suggested here, I can't see how FFG could make nicer ones, OR versions more in keeping with the aesthetic of the game.
One thing I'd REALLY like you NOT to change would be having the rule text on the cards. That was a SPOT ON instinct you had there. One of the big issues in this book, in my opinion, is lists of key words without definitions and just page numbers when there's clearly plenty of space in most areas to include at least a summary of the rule. As a teacher, I can tell you: Seldom is someone hurt by repetition. On the other hand, having to constantly flip back and forth over and over again from 'See Page @@' to a 'See Page @@' and then another 'See Page @@' is frustrating as all get out. And especially with the weapon special traits . . . which during my first play (before I got my own book), I didn't even KNOW about, because they're not listed ANYWHERE except in the weapon sections . . .
Nope, other than those minor tweaking issues, I LOVE these. Especially the rule summaries, and ESPECIALLY especially the weapon rule summaries.
If these were available I'd run-not-walk to wherever I had to to get them! :)
Check out our podcast, The D6 Generation, for your general gaming needs,our patent-pending Not Too Horrible Humor!
King Jareth said:
A printer friendly version for us ink-impared cheapskates please .
Although these ones are WAAAY prettier than mine, and look much more professional, if you're interested in ones that are more printer-friendly (or just temporary ones until these prettier ones are all finished up), you can use the ones I created and uploaded here:
They don't look nearly as professional, as they are just copy / paste from the rulebook, but they do contain all the rules for special abilities / weapons, and are more ink-friendly.
Anyways - no intention on hijacking Rodney's thread here - his cards look fantastic and they might even replace my own when they're done.
I think they look great, and would only echo the idea of moving the Unit Name to the tab area and the movement & other stats down on the card.
PSD file please! I'd be happy to help populate things.
Come play Dust Warfare with us in metro Atlanta at Giga-Bites Cafe!
Or on Facebook:
AMAZING and HANDY our group will surly love these ,please stop by and join out yahoo group we love to have any fans from this site and our files section is great for hosting this items ; )